Friday, March 25, 2011

Pic to the week.

Untitled - Silver Gelatin print, Hand Coloured

Been flat out with lesson prep for my TAFE classes this past fortnight. There seems to be quite a bit of interest from the students in my B&W darkroom classes about the 'traditional' methods of hand coloring prints. There are several ways to do ...and over do this, making the image look tacky and kitsch. When I was a student at the college (in the pre digital era) learning to use the Marshall's Oils and various other materials was a part of the syllabus. No more, but surprisingly it seems that the interest is still there from a number of the students in the darkroom classes. Something to do with the hand crafted nature of the process and resulting prints I guess. Anyway, found this print whilst doing my prep this week. It's one of a small series that I did when I was studying at the college. B&W print, sepia toned then colored using soft chalk pastel and Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils.